Gladys Demissie, State President
Growing up in Singapore, Gladys Demissie was introduced to Vinnies at a young age with her Mother being a Vincentian; Gladys was encouraged to become a member of the Parish Youth Conference.
In 1975 at the age of 19, Gladys migrated to Australia as a student and after graduating with a Bachelor of Business and later a Master of Business Administration, had an extensive career for several decades in finance, working mainly with the Australian Tax Office in areas such as auditing, assessing and rulings before retiring in 2013. Gladys is married to Negash and has two daughters and a son and spending time with her family brings her much joy.
As an active Member of her Conference since 2009, Gladys still undertakes home visitations and has volunteered in the Call Centre and participated in many training programs offered by the Society. Much of this, along with the extensive work she has done assisting people in her local community, gives her a great sense of how those in need appreciate the assistance and support that Vinnies WA can provide.
Gladys has been a member of the Finance & Audit Committee since 2012 and with her appointment in 2014 as the WA State Treasurer; she took on the role of Chair of the Committee together with serving on the Operations Committee.
Susan Rooney, Chief Executive Officer
Susan has held CEO, executive and senior management positions in not-for-profit and government organisations that operate in highly complex and challenging environments including in the areas of health, welfare, emergency services, disability services and aged care. In these roles she has led transformational change that has resulted in significant and sustainable growth and mission outcomes for these organisations.
Meeting the complex needs of the people Vinnies serve, expanding locations, reducing barriers to accessibility, and providing the specialised services families and individuals are seeking are some of the key strategic goals Susan is driving.
Susan holds a Masters of Business Administration, a Bachelor of Applied Science (Physiotherapy) and is a Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors course.
State Council Members
- State President and Chair – Gladys Demissie
- Vice President – David Kennedy
- Vice President (Youth) – Chanda Chisela
- State Treasurer – Tinashe Kamangira
- Chief Executive Officer – Susan Rooney
- President Fremantle Region – Fabian Jacobs
- President Joondalup/Wanneroo – Allan Rose
- President Osborne Park Region – Cathy DeLattre
- President Peel Region – Winston Rennick
- President Perth Region – Daniel Cloghan
- President Queens Pk Region – Pauline McIntyre
- President South West Region – Jack de Gooijer
- President Swan Region – Keenan Klassen
- Society Chaplain – Rev Fr Nino Vinciguerra