Main Content

THE VINNIES CEO SLEEPOUT IS BACK AS AN IN-PERSON EVENT IN 2021!

There has never been a more important time to campaign to bring an end to homelessness, was the message CEOs and business leaders heard at the launch of the 2021 Vinnies CEO Sleepout.

The 2021 Vinnies CEO Sleepout will take place across the country in June, and in its twelfth year in here in Western Australia, will be held for the first time at Optus stadium on the 24 June 2021.

Currently there are 9000 Western Australians experiencing homelessness. Only 11 percent of this figure are people sleeping rough with the other 89 per cent considered “hidden homeless” such as people couch surfing, living in sheds or tents. Vinnies WA CEO Susan Rooney says that these figures, as well as other contributing factors, is why that this event continues to be relevant.

“We can raise money to directly support people experiencing or at risk of homelessness, and also use the opportunity of CEO’s and business leaders participating in the event to help focus attention on the complex issues surrounding homelessness, poverty and social disadvantage.”

“A combination of factors such as recent high demand in the rental market, the rent moratorium ending in March and the already 15,700 households which is around 30,000 people on the wait list for social housing, means more people are facing the very real possibility of homelessness here in WA.”

Attending the breakfast launch of the 2021 Vinnies CEO Sleepout was Steve Turner, Managing Director of 2XM Group who will participating for the first time.

“I want to raise awareness within my network of people, this is something I feel very strongly about. When you walk the streets of Perth or any other Australian capital city, and see so many people living on the streets it heart-breaking and there’s just not enough being done. To be associated with Vinnies, gives me an opportunity to be a part of it, making a change to someone’s life.”

Funds raised from this special event each year go towards Vinnies homelessness services such as Passages Youth Engagement Hubs, providing marginalised and at-risk young people with a safe place to access support services, and Tom Fisher House, an intensive intervention service for individuals with complex needs who experience long term homelessness. The funds also support our Housing Plus program and the work done through the Vinnies Emergency Assistance Program, preventing people who are already experiencing hardship, from their situation escalating into homelessness.

On the back of the success of last year’s live streamed event, people in regional Western Australia can register and elect to participate by sleeping out in their backyard, on a couch or in a car, as well as join on the night through a live broadcast of the proceedings regardless of their location.

To register for the 2021 Vinnies CEO Sleepout click HERE

Subscribe for the latest news and events

We’ll send occasional (but not too many) updates to you via email.